“But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.”
2 Corinthians 3:16
Tonight Rick and I read 2 Corinthians chapter 3. This verse stuck out to me. The context is saying that the glory of the New Covenant is more glorious than the Old Covenant. Moses delivered the law on the tablets and had to place a veil over his face because of how bright it was (Exodus 34:34-35), and there is still a veil over those who do not know Jesus, particularly the Jews.
Here’s the full passage:
“Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts.But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. Now the Lord is theSpirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”
(2 Corinthians 3:12-18)
One of my favorite things about the Bible is that it has many layers of understanding. On the surface we see this relates to Moses and the Jews having a veil over their minds that prevents them from knowing Jesus. Then when one turns to the Lord the veil is removed. Yet when I read this, I felt the Lord gently saying,
“This is true for all areas of your life. Whenever you struggle with understanding anything, just turn to Me. I will remove the veil that prevents you from seeing your next steps. I am Truth and when you look at Me, you will see the truth for every problem!”
- “…Looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith…” – Hebrews 12:2
- Look at Jesus, He wrote our faith and will finish it
- “In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path” – Proverbs 3:5
- (When you look to Him, He will show you where to go)
- “Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law” Psalm 119:18
- (When you look to Jesus to open your eyes you will see more wonderful things in His law/word)
- “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth” Psalm 121:1-2
- (Look to Jesus and His help will come!)
- “For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.” 2 Chronicles 20:12
- Keep your eyes on Him and He will act!
There are so many layers, it’s like peeling an onion. There are so many layers of truth to be opened up and discovered. The only way we can learn more and see more is to look to Jesus. Pilot asked “What is truth?” But we know…. “The sum of your Word is truth” (Psalm 119:60). “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!” (Romans 11:33). There is so much more depth and beauty and riches in every word of His Word, and I know I want to walk in God’s truth! May He remove the veil from your understanding as you strive to know Him more.